Applying to host an AA2A scheme
AA2A is a well respected and long running project which allows Higher and Further Education institutions to host at least four placements for artists and/or designer makers between October and April each year. AA2A artists work alongside students giving career examples of working artists and provide contact with the external arts community. You can read more about AA2A in our introduction. Extra artists can be added to schemes for £170 each.
When institutions are accepted to host an AA2A scheme, they can sign up for one of two Employability packages, which are an integral part of the schemes. Below, we outline how the package and the artists can be used to support the employability agenda and enhance the student experience. NB: The costs of both packages include four artists' placements as standard as well as access to AA2A's Support fund for artists on low income or with disabilities. Our FAQs for hosts gives more detailEmployability packages and costs
Option 1. Enhanced package - cost £1,400*
A package aimed at encouraging students to consider self-employment as a career, including...
- a two hour self-employment presentation for students from National Director, Wendy Mason
- students who attend are emailed individually with supporting notes to the session
- we collate and send you, your students evaluation feedback and email them individually with notes
- We provide all the information and support needed to run a follow up in-house 'Register for Self-employment' session for your graduating students (with optional with AA2A Skype support)
Your placements and supporting areas We provide all the (digital) paperwork, advice, websites, Hardship fund and telephone support you need to manage your scheme. Our host institutions also get two free places for our annual Briefing Day.
- your artists can be asked to do up to three unpaid talks, demonstrations etc. to support curricular activities
- we register your Artists and AA2A Student Reps on our professional networking site'Dotbiz'
- you can have two AA2A Student Reps and we run optional 'Challenges' for them, with prizes
- we provide an AA2A flyer to promote your institution's AA2A scheme to prospective students
Access to AA2A's Engage membership group We will provide you with a national database of past AA2A artists prepared to support your employability agenda by hosting informal sessions for students outside institutions e.g.
- hosting group student visits to their studios
- talking to students informally about self employment
- accompaying students to events such as private views
AA2A digital pack Making it out there This promotes self-employment and visual arts careers and as part of this package we include info and links to your local arts organisations
- you can preview sample pages here
- it can be used to support your curriculum and uploaded to your virtual learning environment eg. Blackboard
- circulated to your current students and graduates
Option 2. Standard package - cost £1,000 includes...
- Your placements and supporting areas
- Access to AA2A's Engage membership group
- AA2A standard digital pack 'Making it out there'
Other options AA2A 'Mini'schemes - cost negotiable
- smaller institutions with mainly FE provision, can apply to host a 'Mini'scheme with two artists, if they are in one of our priority areas
Buying in Employability support without artists placements
- AA2A digital pack Making it out there - £250 (upgrade to include local information - £70)
- Self-employment presentation for students - £550
- Register for Self-employment session with AA2A Skype support - £300
* Enhanced package cost does not include advance booked second class rail travel from Sheffield which is payable by the host institution