A Glue Gun Diaster in Stone Fleck


Related to image album of the same name

How many more times will I fail to learn from experience?  I'm thinking  'many', which isn't the greatest answer in the world.

I was experimenting with a far simpler system than i usually employ in my creative process, although still, nominally, holding true to some of the mathematical principles that are at the core of my practice.  As this was only an experiment, I used a hot glue gun to join the elements involved for quick results.  I've done this before &, to my mind, the worst thing that can happen is that the experiment actually looks pretty good.  My  reason for this comment is that I've found hot glue to be a singularly unstable method of bonding.  It seems to be unable to withstand even moderate stress & consequently objects fall apart.  I should also mention the fact that in this experiment the edges that were glued together were not finished in any way, they were fairly rough having come staright off a bandsaw.  (In actuality none of the edges had been finished to any degree).  In a consciously created object as a 'finished piece' all edges are sanded flat for better adhesion with one another & also for aesthetics.

I'd ended up with two similar objects, having changed one of the creative 'rules' very slightly.  Neither of these objects were particularly pleasing on their own, but when glued together it looked like they (it?) may be going somewhere.  However, I was displeased with the number of elements in the new object, so I glued a few more on &, presto, it wasn't looking too shabby.  The whole thing even seemed to be quite sturdy.  Perhaps I'd been wrong about glue guns after all.

At this point I realised the only way of applying my preferred 'white with a touch of colour' finish to this object wasn't going to be easy to do. The white could be done with spray paint, but the colour would be a virtual impossibility.  Stone fleck spray paint, on the other hand, would be a reasonable option (in my head anyway).  It would be something a little different for me, & stone fleck hides a multitude of sins - all those rough edges.  I decided that a few touches of matt black here & there would break up the visual effect of the stone fleck & off I went.

So, things were proceeding well.  All the paint had been applied & the result wasn't too terrible, until I had to move the object from the spray room back to the studio.  It was at this point that one of the joints got far too stressed & I had two objects again.  In an effort to salvage the piece I needed to remove the dried hot glue from the edges that had come apart which necessitated clamping one of the pieces in a vice & sanding the it off.  Naturally under the stress of the vice that piece broke at one of its joints.  Now I had three objects, well, not even objects really.  I had three bunches of stone flecked  MDF.

That's the point at which this experiment ended & I decided to do something far more constructive, but that's another story.

As an aside, wood glue sticks for hot glue guns are available, but not at my local DIY store.  I suspect that may have worked much better but I'll never know now.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.