Making my first Silicone Mould


 

Images which accompany this post are here.
http://aa2a.biz/pg/photos/album/24018/silicone-mould-making-watering-can-rose-head

Before the Christmas holidays I got into the college and finally got started. 

After a bit of research I discovered that there is a mould making and casting materials supplier based in Sheffield so after a phone enquiry I went to collect my first batch of silicone. I always like to visit suppliers in person when I can and as I have only recently moved to Sheffield it was an excuse to visit a trading estate that I hadn’t been to before.

When I got into the 3D workshops at Sheffield college the staff there were really helpful. 

After some discussion with Val, the ceramics tutor, I decided to make my first mould from a lovely old copper rose watering can head. I really like the feel and surface of the aged copper and would usually incorporate an old metal object such as this into one of my www.frillipmoolog.co.uk sculptures (beings) but for this AA2A residency I have decided to experiment with casting objects in resin and then use the resin objects as components of a new sculptures (being). 

So first I needed to make a mould which would be suitable to cast resin in. 

Silicone was the right material. Not the cheapest but I have already worked with latex in the past and wanted to try something new.

Joe, the technician in the 3D workshop has experience of casting in resin so he was  a great help; supplying me with spray release agent and clay to build my mould walls. He also reminded me of the basics of two part mould making such as using a coin to make locator lugs so that when you fit the completed parts of the mould together they are perfectly aligned. 

I had hoped to have got back into Sheffield college and cast using this mould but due to work and family commitments that didn’t happen. It is January now and time to get back on with it!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.